Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The 21st Celebrations (Week 10: Nov. 7 - 9)

Well, I (and some other people) never thought I'd live to see the day: my 21st birthday. Now, I don't want to hype it up too much because then y'all will just be disappointed. But since I had low (if any) expectations for my birthday abroad, they were definitely met and exceeded! It was a grand weekend.

Nov. 7
My favorite British person, VERITY POSTLETHWAITE, arrived around midday which was soooo exciting. After dropping her stuff off in my room, I gave her the walking tour of Galway: we went from my flat over to college, through college and stopped by St. Nicholas's Cathedral. It was actually the first time I had gone inside of it, so that was exciting. After that we went through Shop Street and stopped for a lunch of fish and chips at McDonagh's. Delicious. We then continued exploring Shop Street and went inside the Claddagh Ring Museum. We also got hot chocolate at the BEST hot chocolate place in Galway, which was a great idea since it was a chilly and blusteryday. Then, since we didn't have anything else better to do, we went into all of the touristy shops and looked at all of the Irish and Guinness-related paraphanelia. Always a good time; the shops have also started setting up for Christmas and put out Christmas decorations and goods. We had fun looking at all of the creepy FatherChristmases.

After going into all of the touristy shops, we moved on to something even more enjoyable: the sporting goods store, Elvery's. I love looking at all of the cool football (not American), rugby and other sports jerseys. We then headed back home to rest and watch the Chelsea vs. Manchester United football match (unfortunately, Manchester United lost), made pizza and drank beer while we tried to watch/listen to the Richmond vs. Villanova game. Apparently I got a shout-out on the radio? That's cool. I was devastated to come home from Night 1 of my 21st birthday to find out that the Spiders lost by ONE POINT! Ugh. So frustrating. Oh well, now we've got that loss out of the way so the boys better tighten up and bring it on home!

Verity and I did a mini-pub crawl, starting off at the King's Head, then the Quays and ended at Monroe's: we decided that Monroe's was the most fun, mainly because it was a lot less crowded than the other two pubs.

Nov. 8
Happy Birthday to me! We started our day off by going castle-hunting, though we never made it to the actual castle. We did, however, come across a very interesting landscape and explored that some; there were some rock formations that looked very "Lion King"-esque, so naturally we had a photo shoot. We then headed down into town for a full Irish breakfast at Riordan's. It was so delicious and filling! Tea, toast, bacon, sausage, potatoes, eggs, beans and "puddings"...not too sure what the puddings actually were, but they were yummy!

After brunch, we went for a long walk down by the bay and the Claddagh, taking advantage of the best birthday present: sunshine! We walked back home to rest up for Night 2 of my 21st birthday. Unfortunately, most of the Fairfield kids and Georgetown girls were getting back late from trips, so they weren't going to make it out that night. But that's ok because some of the rugby girls came by and then we headed out. Verity and I had a great time out, we even rode in one of the rickshaws, which I've always wanted to do! Oh the simple pleasures...

Nov. 9
Verity had to leave early this morning...waaaah. But I'm excited because I'll get to see her again in December before the Vogler fam heads over for our Irish Christmas, so it's not "goodbye but see you later". I then headed to Irish language class and a few other classes. Then I just came home and rested before another night of muddy rugby training. Night 3 of the 21st birthday was about to commence, so it was fun to have the Americans come by to party. Three nights of celebrations in a row? Goodness, was I tired!

All in all, the birthday celebrations were glorious! And they'll continue when I head to BARCELONA next weekend! More updates to come...

PS- To get totally caught up, scroll waaaaaay down to read about my French travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment